“Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand - and melting like a snowflake.”
- Francis Bacon

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Thick, Rich Bacon Potato Soup with a Cheesy Twist


If just reading this recipe doesn't cause your cholestrol to hit the ceiling - then this soup is FOR YOU. I don't make it often, but when I do I treasure each and every little sip and sniff. The aroma is remarkable and it is so, so pretty in a bowl with steam swirling around it like early morning fog. You're gonna ♥ this. I promise!
  • 5 cups potatoes, diced into small cubes
  • 1-1/2 cups carrots, diced
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 12 oz. can evaporated milk
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed (don't use generic)
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • pepper to taste
  • 8 strips bacon (get the good stuff), fried, diced and well drained
Combine potatoes, carrots, and onion in large saucepan or stockpot. Add salt and enough water to cover the veggies. Gently boil for 20 minutes or until veggies tender. With a potato masher, slightly mash some of the veggie, but not all.

Add remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring until all are incorporated and it is slightly bubbly.

I served this with a big green salad and some garlic toast.

8 comments:

Zuzana said...

Creamy and rich, mmmmm! Your pictures make my mouth water at all times. And I LOVE cheese.;)
xo
Zuzana

Eclectic Chic Style said...

This soup IS for me, you had me at Bacon!!! MMMMMM
Hugs ♥ Teresa

Beansieleigh said...

Ihis looks, sounds, and even SMELLS divine from HERE! I LOVE potato soups! Thank you for sharing your recipe! Can't wait to try it, sometime very soon! It's the perfect weather for it here! ~tina

crochet lady said...

Potato soup is my absolute favorite soup. It was one that my mom made often and eating it is always linked to good memories. Your recipe sounds like a great variation.

CC said...

Ahhhh, potato soup. My favorite..
It holds so many memories of my mama's rich potato soup,it's home,it's comfort food..it's rich in memories..it's wonderful. And the very best when the weather is freezing.. Stay warm and enjoy your soup.

Pat@deepintheheart said...

Anything with Velveeta and bacon just has to be good! Keep warm.

Shelley said...

This sounds perfect after spending the day out in the cold freezing temps!! Hope you're staying warm!!

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Hi Mimi!
Wow! all the soup recipes (and others too!) look and sound so, so good! Its been so cold and snowy here-perfect soup weather!
Thinking of you!
With Love from the Cabin,
Claudia O.