- 5 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth, low-sodium canned, or homemade
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- a dash of fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- About 4 cups shredded cooked chicken (I just buy a rotisserie chicken and use whatever is left for sandwiches or a quick salad topping)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium bunch fresh cilantro, leaves torn or chopped
Put the water and broth, salt, rice and butter in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH until the rice is soft and soupy, about 6 hours.
About half an hour before serving, stir in the ginger and scallions, heat through. Portion the soup into bowls and top with warm shredded chicken and cilantro.
Be sure to check out our Foodie blog for today's recipe for Blueberry Muffins with Coconut Topping. Great with a cup of tea for an afternoon break!