“Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand - and melting like a snowflake.”
- Francis Bacon

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Fresh Peach Cobbler with Layered Lattice Pecan Crust

Ingredients
  • 12 to 15 fresh peaches, peeled and sliced (about 16 cups)*
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2/3 cup butter
  • 2 (15-ounce) packages refrigerated pie crusts
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream

Combine first 4 ingredients in a Dutch oven, and let stand 10 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring peach mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; add vanilla and butter, stirring until butter melts.

Unfold 2 pie crusts. Sprinkle 1/4 cup pecans and 2 tablespoons sugar evenly over 1 pie crust; top with other pie crust. Roll to a 12-inch circle, gently pressing pecans into pastry. Cut into 1 1/2-inch strips. Repeat with remaining pie crusts, pecans, and sugar.

Spoon half of peach mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Arrange half of pastry strips in a lattice design over top of peach mixture.

Bake at 475° for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Spoon remaining peach mixture over baked pastry. Top with remaining pastry strips in a lattice design. Bake 15 to 18 more minutes. Serve warm or cold with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

*2 (20-ounce) packages frozen peaches may be substituted. Reduce sugar to 2 cups, flour to 3 tablespoons, and nutmeg to 1/4 teaspoon.

I've made this same recipe with apples in the fall but substitute cinnamon for the nutmeg. Delicious!

5 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Mimi!
Honey I am coming over, this looks so delish. Thanks for sharing this beautiful morning. It just needs a cup of tea and you are set. I wouldlove to try this recipe however I am the only one in the family that loves peaches. Great post. Country Hugs, Sherry

Prim Rose Hill ©2008-2020 said...

Oh Mimi, I hope you made extra because I'm on my way! I am drooling over this one! ;)

Shopgirl said...

This must be a slice of heaven! I will put this on my list of...gotta make this!!!!
I am kind of known for having Lavender...I use it for so many little things, like tea, cookies,soap, and just little bunches tied with a pretty ribbon to share with a friend and I make little pillows filled with this lovely lavender to put anywhere you would like the scent.
Cut away, enjoy them...they are a relazing scent for your home.
Thank You for coming by...Hugs, Mary

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Mimi.........

My mouth is watering........oh my, that looks toooooo yummy.

Hugs,
Spencer

Four Paws and Co said...

Oh Mimi! You're killing me here!!! I want some right now!!! ☺♥☺ Diane